What Is An Epoxy Concrete Primer?
Concrete primer paint, also called concrete primer sealer, is primarily used to improve the adhesive properties of concrete, so paint can stick to it more easily. This increases the longevity of your painted concrete surfaces.
A concrete primer sealer will also penetrate the pores of the substrate, sealing any holes in the concrete which may have formed. This reduces the permeability of your concrete floor, which helps to protect it from damage caused by chemicals, bacteria, and water.
Epoxy concrete primers contain epoxy resins – polyepoxides, which are a type of reactive polymer made from epoxides. Once applied, an epoxy concrete primer forms a mechanical bond within the pores of the concrete surface. This seals the surface and gives the paint you apply an even surface it can easily adhere to.
Epoxy products are the perfect primer for concrete floors as they are inexpensive and dry quickly. Applying an epoxy concrete primer before painting is simple as they have thin viscosity.
We stock several epoxy concrete primer paints. They are solvent free and suitable for concrete with a low moisture up 7% (standard primer). They include:
- CPR 414 – Acid Resistant Epoxy Concrete Primer
A protective treatment ideal for exposed steel re-enforcement or concrete. Particularly useful in environments where chemical exposure sometimes occurs.
- CPR 807 – Anti-Static Concrete Primer
Used as a used as a conductive primer/undercoat for concrete substrates.
Contact Us to learn more about our epoxy concrete primer paints.
What Are The Benefits Of Using An Epoxy Concrete Primer?
There are several benefits associated with using epoxy concrete primer:
- Easy to apply – Epoxy primers are quite thin, which makes them easy to apply.
- Strong chemical bond – The thin viscosity of epoxy concrete primer makes it better at penetrating into the concrete substrate. This creates a better bond and improved adhesion, which delivers a longer lasting and more durable concrete coating.
- Air bubbles are eliminated – The epoxy primer can move into any air bubbles and pinholes in the surface of the concrete easily, providing excellent protection to your concrete surfaces.
- Excellent moisture resistance –Epoxy primers form a strong waterproof barrier for concrete flooring. This makes epoxy primers a great choice for concrete flooring exposed to moisture. Additionally, some epoxy primers can be applied on concrete that has not fully dried after being cleaned or acid etched, e.g. CPR 400 – Epoxy Damp Proof Membrane
- Acid resistant, oil blocking, and anti-static primers available
There are several types of epoxy concrete primers available with special properties for specific applications.
If you are unsure which type of concrete primer to use, contact us here Contact Us or send us an email.