MMA Concrete Primer
CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer – has been developed as a general purpose primer, being used prior to any of the CPR MMA range of coatings, mortars, and screeds.
The product exhibits outstanding adhesion to concrete, as well as steel, masonry, and marine plywood, and the fast curing characteristics allow rapid application of subsequent coatings, mortars or screeds.
CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer is supplied as a two pack material, comprising pre-weighed amounts of BASE and CATALYST components. The mix ratio is fairly tolerant to variations within the
range of 1% to 5% addition of Catalyst, so that part packs may be used if care is exercised.
- Rapid cure, even at low temperatures
- Very good chemical resistance
- Excellent adhesion
- Impervious to water
- Pre-packed units ready for use
- Easily applied
Directions for Use
- Concrete surfaces shall be a minimum of 21 days old and/or the residual moisture content shall be below 6%.
- Ensure that the concrete is clean and free from dust, laitance, grease, oil, curing compound, and existing paint finishes, etc. Suitable mechanical treatment such as vacuum grit blasting or mechanical scabbling is recommended to ensure the removal of contaminants and to provide a mechanical ‘key’ for the primer.
- Pour the contents of the CATALYST container into the BASE container and thoroughly mix, preferably by mechanical means.
- Apply by squeegee to distribute evenly over the floor, and then use a long nap lambswool roller to achieve a nominal application rate of 0.25-0.30kg/m².
- Allow to cure for a minimum of 40 minutes prior to applying any other of the CPR MMA product range.
- If an interval of more than 8 hours between primer application and subsequent overcoating is anticipated then the primer shall be scattered with fine silica sand before hardening.
- Clean equipment with CPR 200 Tool Clean Solvent prior to curing of the coating.
- Minimum overcoating interval: 40 minutes @ 20°C.
Storage and Shelf Life
- Store in dry conditions, out of direct sunlight, at temperatures between 10°C and 20°C.
- Adequate ventilation of the storage area should be provided.
- Keep containers tightly closed when not in use.
- CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer has a minimum shelf life of 6 months when stored in original, unopened containers in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions.
- CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer is supplied in 1kg and 5kg packs.
- A 5kg pack is sufficient to prime an area of 15-20m².
- Exceptionally porous surfaces may require a second coat.
- Viscosity: 300 cps @ 20°C
- Pot life @ 20°C: 15 Minutes
- Pot life @ 10°C: 25 minutes
- Colour: Straw coloured liquid
- Adhesion to concrete: 3.5MPa (concrete failure)
- Temperature range during application: -30°C* to + 40°C
- Temperature range during service: -40°C to + 60°C
- Refer to our technical department for any further advice
- Do not apply to wet or uncured concrete surfaces.
- CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer will taint food during application, so that all foodstuffs in the immediate vicinity must be removed or properly covered.
Health and Safety
- CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer is flammable during application, so that adequate safety precautions should be observed.
- Avoid contact of the material with skin and eyes.
- Wear gloves and goggles.
- Wash off splashes immediately with soap and water.
- Any eye contamination must be rapidly irrigated with copious amounts of clean water, and immediate medical attention sought.
- Please refer to Material Safety Data Sheet for additional information.
- CPR 406 MMA Concrete Primer shall be applied strictly in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions
For specific advice regarding any aspect of this product, please consult our Technical Departments.
Whilst all reasonable care is taken in compiling technical data on the Company’s products, all recommendations or suggestions regarding the use of such products are made without guarantee, since the conditions of use are beyond the control of the Company.
It is the customer’s responsibility to satisfy himself that each product is fit for the purpose for which he intends to use it, that the actual conditions of use are suitable and that in the light of our continual research and development program the information relating to each product has not been superseded.